The original College Inn opened in 1769 and was located on Nassau Street. Students and townsmen drank eagerly of the news and opinions of honored guests such as Paul Revere, Robert Morris, and Thomas Paine, who stayed the night more than once. Signers of the Declaration of Independence, passing through Princeton in 1776, rested at College Inn. As the Revolutionary War began, officers of the Continental Army, British, and Hessians, visited the Tap Room.
In 1937, Edgar Palmer purchased the inn and moved it to its present location when constructing Palmer Square. Palmer commissioned Norman Rockwell to paint the 13 foot mural of Yankee Doodle which still hangs behind the bar.
Today, the Yankee Doodle Tap Room is a gathering place for local residents, visitors, students, and faculty. A new outdoor dining patio is an extension of the restaurant. The current menus offer upscale tavern food and the most popular drinks are the specialty beers including: Magic Hat, Samuel Adams Seasonal, and Yankee Doodle Ale.