Simple Ways to Spread Good Cheer this Holiday Season
“Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.” – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
By Taylor Smith
Giving back during the holidays doesn’t have to cost a lot of time or money. Simple gifts of happiness and good cheer can go a long way in improving another person’s day. Here are some suggestions for being more generous this time of year.
- Bake an extra pie and share it with your coworkers or the local fire station.
- Collect food, bedding, toys, and treats for a local animal shelter.
- Sing carols and serve cookies at an assisted-living facility for the elderly.
- Say “please” and “thank you” when running holiday errands. A warm smile or refraining from laying on the horn in traffic is a way of sharing the gift of happiness, too.
- Donate blood to the American Red Cross.
- Send holiday cards to those serving in the military.
- Donate gently-used items to area homeless shelters, the Salvation Army, or Goodwill.
- Personalize your holiday cards with a handwritten note of “thanks” and “love.”
- Save loose change in a jar, turning it into gift cards or cash that can be donated to your favorite cause.
- Buy a book and gift it to your local public library. Who knows? Your favorite novel could equally inspire and bring comfort to someone else.